Avoid Gum Disease by Fighting Plaque in City of London
Considered to be the breeding ground of oral bacteria, dental plaque forms on the teeth’s surface. Since they are just soft deposit, you can easily remove them with regular flossing and brushing. In addition, you will have to visit your City of London dentist for dental cleaning in order to avoid gum disease due to plaque buildup.
Surveys in the UK have revealed that:
• 7 out of 10 adults have visible plaque
• Half of the 7 adults are already suffering from various gingivitis degrees
• 2 out of 10 aged 15 to 18 have periodontitis with pockets of depth about 4 to 5 mm
• 8 out of 100 adults suffer from severe periodontitis with pockets of minimum depth 6 mm
You must keep in mind that although everyone can develop dental plaque, only some develop periodontal or gum disease. For this reason, it is important that you aware of the risk factors associated with gum disease due to plaque:
• Poor hygiene that encourages the build up of plaque
• Weakened immune system
In order to prevent gum disease due to plaque, you should:
• Brush teeth 2-3 times a day for about two minutes
• Use power toothbrushes which are found to remove plaque and debris better than regular toothbrushes
• Visit dentist regularly for dental cleaning
• Stop or avoid smoking
Treatment for gum disease associated with plaque depends on the severity of the disease. Your City of London dentist will give you an antiseptic mouthwash in addition to special dental treatment that can remove stubborn plaque in deep pockets.