London Dental Patients Treated For Xerostomia
Xerostomia or dry mouth is a condition when the glands that produce the saliva for the mouth stop producing enough to keep the mouth moist. This problem in London dental patients seems to be very common and is usually a result of high stress. If the problem continues for longer duration of time, it is wise to find a good dentist in London to have them check the problem. Dry mouth can also be a symptom of other, more serious dental diseases.
If you think you may have dry mouth problems, the following symptoms may be present. See your dentist right away.
• Saliva thickens and you feel as though you can not talk or swallow correctly.
• The tongue gets a rough feel to it
• Your throat feels dry as does your mouth
• You may have a burning sensation in the mouth or be sensitive to spicy and salty foods
• Halitosis or bad breath may be present
• Sores in the mouth are common
• Lip cracking can occur
• The tongue can be red, dry and raw
• If you wear dentures, it is more difficult to have them in than usual
• Your thirst increases
The reason dry mouth is such a problem is because saliva is needed for many things. It helps us to chew our food, swallow without choking, talk, taste correctly, and aids in the digestion of food. It also keeps certain bacteria in the mouth, under control so we do not have to deal with infections. Saliva also protects the teeth from decaying.